Until 1892, there was no Department in the State dealing with matters concerning cattle welfare. There was, however, the Imperial Horse Breeding Department run by the Inspector-General of Civil Veterinary Department, Government of India with headquarters at Simla.
In1892, the Civil Veterinary Department was constituted in the State to supplement the operations of the Imperial Department and a Superintendent was appointed under the Director of Land Records and Agriculture with headquarters at Babugarh in District Meerut. In 1920, the department was taken away from the control of the Director of Land Records and Agriculture, and a Veterinary Advisor to Government was appointed to look after it. In 1929, his designation was changed to Director, Civil Veterinary Department.